How do you do a Sign In to Hotmail in a way it does not put your account at risk? We look at the options available to you and also have included tips to troubleshoot common login issues and account safety tips.
The official https Sign In page is https://mail.live.com (Enter email address/password to get in). With any email service, the password is case sensitive. Ensure that the caps lock is off to avoid the account getting locked as a result of multiple retries. Forgetting password is not uncommon especially if you are not used your email service with Hotmail for a while. If you can’t remember the password, visit the “Forgot your password?” link right below the password box. You will be asked to enter your email address for identification along with the characters in a security picture (This is done to ensure that you are a real person and not a robot).
Microsoft uses SmartScreen to protect Hotmail from spam. Just like Google docs, Microsoft lets you edit, view and share Word/Excel/PowerPoint files for free. Hotmail supports 10GB of attachments. Hotmail currently has more than 340 million users, making it the largest email service on Earth. To improve user experience, MS has introduced the concept of Gray Mail. This would filter out mails that are not necessarily spam, but mails that are not important to you (They have introduced categories for the same). Hotmail has come a long way from 2006. The website is now 10 times more faster.
Tips to protect your Hotmail email account:-
– Avoid using Hotmail from unprotected internet café. It is always advisable to use Internet on your laptop or a phone, while traveling. Using password protected wifi service is generally safer that free public wifi. Do not share your password in any text file.
– Never share your password with anyone. Pick a password that is complex and easy to remember at the same time. Change is password at least once in 6 months.
– If you are on a PC, get your anti spyware/virus software updates periodically.
– https encrypts your data and protects it from data theft. Always login to https website or simply type “mail.live.com” on your web browser.
– Use a web browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera) that is up to date.
– During Hotmail sign up, MS would collect certain private information. This can include information collected from other MS services beyond Hotmail.
– Cookies are used to track user behavior/interaction and offer a personalized service.
– They have live help for Hotmail/Live password related questions that you may have.