During peak hours (8AM – 10 AM), IRCTC login can be quite challenging especially with a slow Internet connection and a busy IRCTC server. The website has a lot of scope for improvement. Successful Sign In and booking tickets can be done with a combination of steps. We’ll explain how.
Official https login URL:
Tips to successfully book IRCTC tickets even during peak hour:-
- Sign In to IRCTC website in different browsers (IE, Safari, Google Chrome, Firefox). Google Chrome and Firefox handles timeout’s better. This way, even if the page time’s out, you will have an active transaction on other browser.
- Log on before 8 AM for Taktal tickets. You could perform the search after 8 AM. Have the departure and destination station codes handy. For tatkal tickets, have all the relevant details with you (Things like ID card, for e.g. Driving license number)
- After entering the payment details, do not close the browser even if it takes 1-2 minutes. There have been days I have had to wait for 4-5 minutes for completing the payment.
IRCTC stands for Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation. They handle catering, online booking and more recently even flight bookings at competitive prices. They take care of catering in some Rajdhani Exp trains, Duranto Exp, Frakkha Exp, Maitree Express, and Kandhari Exp. Booking with IRCTC can be made from an internet connected PC, Mobile phone or just SMS. They have an option for E-Tickets (email/online) and i-tickets (delivered by post). Their frequent traveler program is called ‘Shubh Yatra’. There is an annual fee for this program. IRCTC tickets can be booked even via Make My Trip & Yatraa’s API with IRCTC for a small fee. Tatkal tickets can’t be booked with this service though.
IRCTC also takes booking on the following luxury trains:-
- Palace on Wheels
- Royal Rajasthan on Wheels
- Golden Chariot
- Buddhist Circuit Train
- Royal Orient Express
- Deccan Odyssey
Tips to protect your IRCTC account:-
- Ensure that your web browsers are up-to-date to protect your account from spyware. If you are using a Windows PC, it is wise to install reliable anti-spyware software.
- Do not share your login details with anyone. Ensure that the mobile number that you have entered with IRCTC is correct.
- Pick a password that is complex and yet easy to remember.